I regularly help my Building manager out when dealing with licensed trades because of this lack of knowledge.
Once a development is taken over by the Strata Manager and Owners Corporation the home units involved are covered by the Home Building Act and Home Builders Compensation (HBCF) fund because they are classed as residential.
All unit blocks built three stories’ and under are required to be covered from the construction stage under the Home Building Act.
With 40 years-experience living in and building apartment buildings and retirement villages I have a wealth of knowledge and skills to spot developer shortcomings in the construction process which are prevalent these days.
INSPECTIONS, REPORTS AND MAINTENANCE SCHEDULES.
Inspections on work to be undertaken scope of work reports for the contractors to work to incorporating licensing checks and insurance compliance especially with regards to Home Builder Compensation Fund for works over 20k (HBCF).
Maintenance schedule reports for ongoing work that requires regular updates and continued betterment.
Product Installation Compliance reports to make sure that the nominated materials satisfy the BCA, NCC and manufacturers specifications and warranties and that they have been installed with a professional and tradesmen like manner.
Asbestos can be found in older unit blocks especially those built between 1940 and 1985 and even up to 2003 despite the banning of all types of Asbestos in 1985 the manufacturers of these products were allowed to use up the existing stock well after that date so some smaller unit blocks up to 2003 may still have asbestos related products in them. A full assessment can be carried out of these buildings and a report written.
Fire prevention systems and fire services panels should be looked after by specialists in this field due to the recent installation of non-compliant Australian Standard materials or substitution of on the façade of buildings and dodgy developers employing favored Principal Certifying Authorities to sign off on the compliance of the BUILDING.
I have many specialist instruments and equipment for reaching hard to access areas including:
- Flir Borescope with two way 2m long articulated LED lit camera
- Thermal Cameras FLIR E75 and E6
- Flir Damp and Humidity moisture meter
- Starret digital calipers
- De-Felsko Positector 6000 with FNS Probe for all metallic surface coatings. NAS Probe for all Anodised aluminium coatings and Surface coating probe for all other material coatings such as paint and waterproof membranes.
- De-Walt cross line lasers (Green and Red)
- Stabila laser distance measure, Rotating site laser and telescopic and digital levels.
- Bosch metal, timber and electrical cable wall finder
- NIX Paint sensor and colour matching technology
- DJI Matrice 210 Drone with Z30 zoom camera and FLIR XT2 Thermal Camera. Flying and inspection lights. IP 43 weather resistant.