NAVIGATION

Blogs

Is Your Home Making You Sick?

We’re all aware of the hazards in our workplace and any place outside our homes. But are we paying enough attention to where we live? Are we sure that our homes are not making us sick?

Toxins, pests, lead, asbestos and moulds in your home can affect your health. These invisible things (or hidden from view) could actually have a catastrophic effect to your overall well being. Worse, those things can cause irreversible damages to your brain and body.

How moulds affect our health

For example, moulds in our homes can have the following effects to our health:

  • Asthma, dry coughs and lung infections
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Running or blocked nose
  • Skin and eye irritation
  • Brain fog
  • Migraines and frequent headaches
  • Depression and anxiety
  • Muscle and joint pain (inflamed joints)
  • Extreme fatigue
  • Numbness
  • Strange hair loss
  • Extremely low testosterone levels (abnormal hormone levels)
  • Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS) which may even cause death

In fact, mould and fungal growth in homes and apartments has already caused serious health issues among some residents and occupants (especially migraines, frequent headaches and “sick building syndrome”) in Australia. Some even have undergone surgery and long-term ongoing medications to cure the symptoms and reduce the effects.

One resident was vomiting for days and experiencing worse migraines as time went on. The problems got worse and in weeks and months she had no idea what’s going on. After all, the mould’s effects are always insidious. The blame was always put on something else that’s more obvious and visible.

Her pet and two friends also experienced health issues. The dog stopped eating and the two people were getting headaches each time they woke up. Imagine experiencing all those symptoms and yet you have no clue of what’s causing them. Is it the food you eat? Have you already contracted a serious disease? Aside from your physical health, your emotions will also be affected because you won’t stop thinking about the causes. You’ll also feel the fear of the unknown because things seem to be getting worse but still there’s not a clear explanation.

The worst part is that the real cause of all those problems might still be affecting you every day. It’s what happened to the resident mentioned above. It took her two months before realising that the moulds were the culprits. By that time her health had already declined dramatically.

The biotoxins from moulds may also affect you in a gradual and subtle way which can make them far more dangerous than the hazards outdoors. Often, residents are unaware until it’s too late or the moulds have already ruined their health. Many renters and tenants have the symptoms of mould infection and yet the cause is blamed on something else (perhaps the landlord tells them other reasons to avoid blame and legal action).

Why moulds are subtle

Perhaps you’re already suffering from the biotoxins being released by moulds and other fungi. This is hard to pinpoint because after all, there are dozens of other things that could cause your headache, fatigue and any other health issue.

But the moulds often get the least attention because their effects are gradual and subtle. What you see as ordinary rust, accumulated dust and black spots might be already thriving sites for dangerous moulds. Part of how and why moulds still insidiously affect your health is often they’re hidden from view or you can’t recognise their presence.

How to detect and stop moulds

If you want peace of mind and know once and for all whether your home is making you sick or not, it’s now time to have a professional inspection of your home or apartment. This way, professionals can also advise you of how to stop mould proliferation in your living space.

That’s why here at Sydney Building Defects Inspections and Reports (SBDIR), we use the latest Thermal Technology to determine the possible presence and proliferation of moulds. We accomplish this through reliable and non-destructive means of detecting moulds and other building problems.

Call us today at 0419 416 040 if you no longer want to expose yourself to the dangers of moulds. Here at SBDIR our experienced specialists will find the moulds and advise you of the best ways to get rid of them once and for all.